Wednesday 27 March 2013

Speculative Fiction

Speculative fiction is a term that I have only recently heard and I immediately went online to check what it actually means (the internet is awesome). When looking it up I found this quote, "Speculative literature is a catch-all term meant to inclusively span the breadth of fantastic literature, encompassing literature ranging from hard science fiction to epic fantasy to ghost stories to horror to folk and fairy tales to slipstream to magical realism to modern myth-making -- and more."Speculative Literature Foundation

Cool, right? I love the idea that everything a little bit out there whether it is paranormal or science fiction or fairytale can be all grouped together under one term because, really, what is the difference between them? They all follow a pattern of a strange, yet familiar, world with heroes, bad guys (or girls) and an amazing adventure.
 
I write my own stories and although I have been known to write under a wide range of genres there is something about fantasy, science fiction and other sub-genres like these which call me back. I am actually incredibly proud of my knowledge in what I am now thinking of as speculative fiction but with such a big category there is so much more to learn which, in part, is why I am writing this blog.

I seriously cannot understand why I have not noticed the term speculative fiction before but I must say that I am currently loving it! Especially since that Steampunk is a part of the the term and Steampunk is nothing short of fascinating and I own more than a few pieces of Steampunk themed jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment